The League of Women Voters of Arizona supports a funding plan for public education that enhances the equal opportunity of all students. Such a plan should:
- Provide for the equitable distribution of state funds, including capital funding.
- Establish criteria for a quality education for all students prior to determining the formula for the distribution of monies.
- Recognize the differences in the needs of school districts.
- Provide funds for the special needs of school districts.
- Include measures to equalize the ability of school districts to finance those portions of their budgets for which they are responsible on the local level.
- Require governmental entities that establish mandated programs to continue funding for duration of the project.
- Budget for transportation, social services and special education needs separately from base maintenance and operation support.
- Ensure that all schools using public funds, such as Charters are held as fiscally accountable as are schools in regular established public school districts.